As an experienced, licensed counselor, SunSet Community Counseling founder Sandra L. Hammond is well positioned to facilitate group formation, development, and discussion. Her skills cover the whole range of techniques that have been proven to be beneficial to group work, including:
- By preparing extensively before each session, Sandra ensures that every moment will be as productive as possible. That includes setting objectives for the discussions to follow, obtaining any materials that might be needed, and accounting for the interpersonal dynamics of participants.
- Groups left to their own devices too often leave certain members feeling excluded. Sandra is experienced at devising ways to make sure that every member of a group will always be able to contribute and feel comfortable doing so.
- Laying out clear guidelines for the group work to follow will always help keep things on track. Sandra’s education and extensive experience with group facilitation allow her to develop and secure agreement with guidelines that ensure groups function effectively.
- Listening and reinforcement. Communication is the heart of every high-functioning group, and active listening can facilitate it. Whether by paraphrasing important points made by others or helping members keep track of multiple ideas as they evolve, Sandra uses listening and reinforcement to facilitate more productive group discussion.
- Group sessions that are not managed effectively often end up going off track. Sandra’s highly developed discussion management skills help groups make the most of their limited, valuable time together.
- On occasion, it will be most productive to adjust the goals or guidelines of a group to account for new developments. Sandra’s flexible approach to facilitation ensures that groups will never be held back by excessive or unwarranted rigidity.
Tools like these and others consistently prove effective at encouraging and supporting productive group discussion. Sandra’s extensive training and experience in the field have equipped her with many skills that make a real difference in her work as a group facilitator. Contact SunSet Community Counseling now to learn more.